Posted on: Tuesday, September 19, 2017
Writing a proper resume is the most important part for one to enter a job in modern times. But Now-a-days competition is not only in the Personal qualifications but also in writing a proper resume for particular jobs. One who is going to prepare a resume of his own should not forget the proverb that- Nobody gets a second chance to make a first impression! Documents in a resume should very targeted, that means the resume should vary for each application in different institutions depending on their demands, fascinations, type of work, purpose of work etc.
First we will have a glance at the content of a proper resume:
- Personal details are the basic things that all resume will contain, that may include name, address, phone number, email address and if possible any professional social media presence. If there is no age discrimination rule you need not to include your date of birth.
- Education and qualifications should get a section in your resume mentioning your results and extracurricular activities.
- Career history ie, work experiences are also an important fact to be included, starting with your most recent job first. If this is your first job then you may include your temporary and voluntary jobs if those are related to the applied job.
- Special skills and achievements from academic studies, various training programs and from previous jobs that are relevant should be mentioned too.
- Qualifications and training that you have taken and which are relevant should be included, with the most recent first. Training taken from previous jobs can also be mentioned.
- Your relevant interests and hobbies regarding type of work can be included, if the skills or teamwork concerned are helpful for the job
- Any extra information necessary should be included, such as reasons for a career change or reasons for gaps in career history etc.
- References are also a major importance, which may ideally two or more and including a recent employer.
By a personal resume you sell yourself and your qualities, so it must be tailored towards the job you are applying for. Here we go for some most important facts that will guide one to prepare an excellent resume of specificity for corporate jobs:
- Some questions you should keep in mind before making a resume include: What does the company do? What they may look for in an employee? What skills does the specific job you are applying for require? You may Check the company's website for extra information and direction to make the resume.
- Employer don't have a lot of time to check each of the information mentioned in the resume, that is around 10 seconds only. So format of the resume should be clear and if possible unique, basic points should be eye-catching, writing font should be easy to read etc.
- It is better to list your education in reverse chronological order. Begin with university if you attended or are attending it and work your way backwards. In this case one important fact is that many may feel shy to mention if the GPA is poor, but you better not hide your GPA.
- The most important resume tip is that you need to give the focus of what you accomplished and contributed in each of your positions in previous jobs. Employers look for these.
- Mention the interest and hobbies that will paint a positive image. In this case one must be aware of the conclusions that might be drawn from his hobbies.
- Poor spelling is the quickest way to get rejected. So check for any grammatical and spelling mistake in the resume. If possible get someone else to check your resume for any mistake and for any suggestion.
- The resume should be as concise as possible and must not repeat yourself. Repeating same information will prove you are not conscious or you have copied the format from other resumes.
- You need not to waste all your good work by sending off a well written CV on poor quality paper. So make sure that your CV is printed out on good quality paper, and preferably in black ink.
- An applicant should also check carefully whether the company has asked for a resume or a CV, because these two have a little difference. A resume is brief and concise - no more than a page or two; whereas a curriculum vitae is a longer (at least two pages) and gives a more detailed synopsis.
- In a word the resume should be concise, structured and specific. By having a good understanding of the goal and culture of the company customize your resume to reflect the priorities emphasized by the company for the specific position you are applying for.
Around the world, even in Bangladesh maximum jobs have now become CV or resume dependant. In that case wishing you all to write successful resumes keeping mentioned facts in mind.